Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Why GOP voters will (should?) stay home - my response

Ross,

I am optimistic that both houses will stay in Republican hands.

Actually it is only hope. Optimism says that we will actually increase our majorities when the votes are counted!

Seriously though, I have a hard time accepting that the voters who were intelligent enough to choose Bush over Kerry/Gore are not intelligent enough to understand the threat incurred by handing control to the Democrats.

Media Bias and pandering on behalf of liberal issues is nothing new. Over weighted polls and un-scientific sampling to shape voter opinions are nothing new.

Republican/Conservative voters have been well aware of this and sidestepped it in every election since 2000. Are they suddenly going to cave just because its become even more intense and obvious? 'Wow, the media really are on the side of the Liberals - I guess they deserve to win!'

Yes the majorities took advantage of the trust handed to them and shamefully spent the country into deeper debt. That has really pissed me off.

I was angry to find that Bush was not truly a Conservative.

I'm angry over the lack of any true immigration progress.

In my wildest dreams, however, I cannot conceive that I might sit out this election - or any election- where the outcomes are so important.

Is the overspending really enough of a reason to throw in the towel? At least I have low taxes and greater wealth while it's happening. Will this continue under Democrats?

Will Democrats be any tougher on immigration reform? (Ha!).

Is removing all pressure from Iran by pulling out of Iraq and 'talking' really the smartest thing to do?

I am not happy at how we've run the war. In 14 months, my son, an Army Officer, heads to Iraq with his unit. Do you think I am pleased at this? Of course not, but I am convinced it has to be done.

If Republicans truly do stay away from the polls and the balance of power shifts to the left, it will greatly sadden me.

Not because the majority was lost, but because the will to do right was overridden by the will to give up and hide from reality; overridden by the political equivalent of a kid taking his football and going home when the game doesn't go exactly his way.

Are we really that immature as a party?

If so, every Republican who stays home or votes against the majority will have placed themselves on par with the legislators who couldn't say no when it came to earmarks.

Both knew what was moral and right and both failed to do it for selfish reasons. I think the Republican/Conservative voters are better than that.

So, yes, I am optimistic (or hopeful). I don't have anything to really support this, I just expect it as I expect the sun to rise tomorrow.

In my narrow view, no other outcome makes sense and the opposite result is a reality check I'm not currently willing to deposit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home